Employees of Morgan Stanley helping to build comfort kits for those affected by the recent Hurricanes.
Over the last 7 days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 157 adults and 51 children following 49 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities (see below).
Last Week in Review
- On Friday and throughout the weekend, the Greater NY Red Cross responded to a massive 6-alarm fire in Hamilton Heights that forced the evacuation of a six floor building. The Red Cross setup a reception center to provide hot meals and comfort to the residents and emergency overnight housing to over 20 families. Thanks to all who responded.
- On Sunday, Red Crossers out on Long Island assisted a family in Wyandanch left homeless after high winds caused a down tree to fall on their home.
- On Saturday, Red Cross and community partners were canvassing neighborhoods in Queens and Brooklyn to install free smoke alarms. As of a week ago, the NY Regional Team has installed 7772 Smoke Alarms!
- Thank you to the Morgan Stanley employees who joined us on Thursday to build over 200 comfort kits for evacuee families at the Service Center in Harlem. Such an amazing day to partner up with these gracious employees!
- Also thanks to PSEG Long Island for partnering with us to help #EndHomeFires by installing free smoke alarms across Long Island.
- Props to the Red Cross Metro NY Board for putting together over 180 EDVEAC Bags on Thursday for veteran patients arriving from overseas to receive care at Walter Reed National Military Center.
- Congrats to the SCPD 3rd Precinct Explorers for completing an American Red Cross CPR/AED cerfitication at the Brentwood Public Library!
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- Nov 21,24, 25, 27: Red Cross blood drives will take place from 2 to 7 p.m. at the Greater NY Red Cross building located at 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- Nov 24, 25: The Harlem Globetrotters are coming to MSG this Friday and Saturday and partnering with the Red Cross to raise fund for disaster relief.
- Nov 28: The holiday season is a time for family and festivities. It’s also a time to be reminded of those who are less fortunate and in need of a helping hand. This year, on #GivingTuesday, you can give a unique and meaningful gift to help the people we meet every 8 minutes who have been devastated by disaster. #GiveWithMeaning
- Dec 13: The Home Fire Preparedness Campaign will be in Brentwood on Dec 13 installing free smoke alarms from 10 am to 1 pm. For an appointment, please call 516-229-1086 or visit redcross.org/lifiresafety.