Monday, December 22, 2014
|Red Cross responds to a 5-Alarm fire in Ozone Park (Queens).|
Over the last 7 days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 184 adults and 56 children following 55 local disasters. Here are some highlights of responses and activities from the last week.
Last Week in Review
- On December 18, a 5-Alarm fire tore through an apartment building in Ozone Park (Queens). Working with city agencies, the Red Cross setup a relief center at P.S. 65 and provided financial and emotional support to two dozen families displaced. Of those families, 11 were provided emergency housing.
- Last Friday, Red Cross Club Youth volunteers held their annual fundraising movie night. They screened the Holiday classic, Santa Clause, and raised money to benefit the Red Cross.
- The Long Island chapter of the Red Cross welcomed a new board member, Butch Yamali.
- The staff and volunteers of the Greater NY Red Cross would like to wish you "Happy Holidays!" (to the tune of Taylor Swift's Shake It Off).
Monday, December 15, 2014
|Residents of North Amityville motel provided with Red Cross blankets and services after they evacuated from a fire.|
Over the last 7 days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 119 adults and 34 children following 61 local disasters.
LAST WEEK IN REVIEW
- Following a fatal fire at a motel in North Amityville (Suffolk County) last Saturday, the Red Cross was able to provide residents with food, financial assistance, emergency shelter and emotional support.
- Saturday, Astoria (Queens) residents awoke to flooded basements after a water mainbreak. Red Cross volunteers spent the day on scene providing emergency assistance to displaced families and distributing more than 40 flood clean-up kits.
- Early Friday morning, a 4-Alarm fire broke out in a East New York (Brooklyn) apartment building. Residents left homeless by the blaze turned to the Red Cross for emergency assistance.
- Through out the week, Red Cross Disaster Logistics teams continued to transfer supplies to newly purchased trailers that are pre-positioned in the event of large-scale disasters like Superstorm Sandy.
- Metro New York North Red Cross responded to a rash of fires, providing emergency assistance to families in Middletown, New City, Salisbury Mills and Haverstraw.
- Tonight, the Red Cross will partner with the NY Islanders in support of our mission. You can still purchase discounted tickets to the final Red Cross Charity Night at Nassau Coliseum. Blood Drive on December 20th from 9am to 3pm at the Nassau Coliseum where all presenting donors will receive a voucher for two tickets to an Islanders home game during the 2014-15 regular season and a chance to win autographed Islanders memorabilia and more! Walk-ins are welcome, or to schedule an appointment to donate call 1-800-RED CROSS or visit redcrossblood.org. Reference sponsor code ISLANDERS.
- This Friday, Youth Services/Red Cross Clubs will be holding their annual fundraising movie night. This year’s screening will be the holiday classic “The Santa Clause” starring Tim Allen. Showtime starts at 5pm at the GNY Chapter 520 W 49th Street. Popcorn and drinks will be sold. RSVP via email at Amanda.email@example.com.
Tuesday, December 9, 2014
|Three young NY girls pose for a photo at our annual Winter Wonderland holiday event.|
- On Monday, December 15, the NY Islanders will be playing to benefit the Red Cross. Find discounted tickets at: www.newyorkislanders.com/redcrosstickets
WEEK IN REVIEW
- Winter Wonderland, our annual event for children affected by local disasters disasters, took place last Saturday in Times Square’s Hard Rock Café!
- Last weekend, Greenwich Hospital and Jefferson Valley Mall hosted Holiday Mail for Heroes card-writing events.
- On Friday, during our Staff meeting, the Greater NY Red Cross Client Services Team was recognized for their tireless efforts providing services to residents affected by disasters every day.
- Young volunteers from Red Cross Youth Clubs learned about disaster preparedness during their Zombie Apocalypse party held on Dec. 5.
- Early last week, we shared the video of Carmen Allende, who in late November turned to the Red Cross after a fire destroyed her Bronx home.
- Right after #GivingTuesday, we said THANK YOU to all those donors and volunteers who constantly support our cause.
- During #GivingTuesday, the Red Cross and Bitly partnered to launch Hopely, a new tool to promote Red Cross services and encourage online donations.
|The Jefferson Valley Mall Holiday Mail for Heroes card-writing event.|
Tuesday, December 2, 2014
- On Dec. 2 for #GivingTuesday, we encourage you to donate to our cause and give something that means something.
- On Dec. 1, the volunteers in our logistics team shared pictures of the trucks used for their fleet activities.
- For Black Friday on Nov. 28, we encouraged our supporters to check our Holiday Gift Catalog.
- Our volunteers, always eager to help, responded to a fire at a Senior Apartment Complex on Thanksgiving eve, Nov. 27, at Peekskill, New York, which displaced four individuals.
- Thanksgiving was the occasion to thank all of you who make our mission possible.
- Right before Thanksgiving, we shared some tips for safe traveling.
- Have you ever thought of the comfort that a single blanket brings to a person? Early last week, one of our volunteers, Ronnie G. Rigos, appeared on a Red Cross blanket PSA.
- The Red Cross was on scene to help during a 3-alarm fire in Harlem on Nov. 25.
- Early last week, on Nov. 24, DART Team members transport supplies to Buffalo due to the snowstorm.