|The @RedCrossNY |
Last Week in Review
- Over the weekend, hundreds of Red Cross volunteers installed free smoke alarms throughout the Greater New York region: in Bushwick (Brooklyn), Peekskill (Westchester) and Patchogue (Long Island). Thanks to everyone who came out to make their communities safer one smoke alarm at a time.
- On Sunday, we also partnered with FDNY to distribute smoke alarms in Midwood (Brooklyn).
- On Friday, Metro North New York Red Crossers assisted 18 Individuals displaced following a quickly extinguished fire on the third floor of the multi-family home. Mt. Vernon OEM arranged to open City Hall as a Reception Center where volunteers worked tirelessly through the late afternoon providing emergency relocation and financial assistance for residents affected by the fire.
- On Friday, Red Cross Intern Silvana Espinoza recalled her first disaster "ride-along" with volunteer responders in a blog post.
- On Thursday, Long Island Red Cross Community Ambassador, Helene Cuji, provided local residents, including many seniors, with information and materials about Red Cross services and programs at Senator Michael Vinditto’s Golden Gathering at the Freeport Recreation Center.
- On Wednesday, Metro New York North Communications Officer, Abigail Adams updated FIOS Viewers on our response to a strip mall fire earlier this week in Mount Vernon
- On Tuesday, LIHerald.com posted an inside look into the full-scale NY Shakes exercise that took place the weekend prior.
- While on deployment in South Carolina, FDNY DART Chairman Doug Bainton was interviewed by local WMBF News.
- On Monday, the Red Cross opened a reception center to aid residents affected by a fire on 1st Ave in Huntington Station (Long Island).
- Earlier this week, the Red Cross worked with 500+ students at PS 83 in the Bronx to teach them about disaster preparedness through our Pillowcase Project initiative.
- Win a Deluxe Emergency Preparedness Kit by taking the online emergency preparedness training. You’ll be automatically entered to win. This contest is open to residents of New York City, Long Island, Orange, Sullivan, Rockland, Putnam and Westchester Counties. Four winners will be chosen each month (notified via email).
- Oct 27, 29: Red Cross blood drives; 1 to 7pm; 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- Oct 29: Calling all interested lawyers, journalists, law students and professionals in international relations: the Greater New York Red Cross will host “Humanity in War” an international humanitarian law workshop where you can familiarize yourself with the laws that govern modern combat, and the role humanitarian groups like the Red Cross play in war zones.
- Nov 1: For the TCS NYC Marathon, the Red Cross will be well represented by several fundraising runners and dozens of volunteer medical spotters.
- Nov 11: Join the American Red Cross as it marches in America's Parade on Wednesday. The parade kicks off at Madison Park on 26th Street and Fifth Avenue and marches north along Fifth Avenue to 53rd Street. For Red Cross volunteers who wish to march in honor of America's veterans, please email SAFGNY@redcross.org.