Over the last 7 days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 181 adults and 42 children following 45 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities (see below).
Last Week in Review
- Partnering with the UJO of Williamsburg, Hatzolah Ambulance and Shomrim Williamsburg Safety Patrol on Sunday, the Red Cross installed over 255 smoke alarms in Williamsburg (Brooklyn) to help make neighborhoods safer.
- On Friday, we took a moment to remember the 1993 World Trade Center bombing on its 23rd anniversary
- On Thursday, Lynn Duddy, Red Cross CPR/First Aid expert, visited the home of expectant mother and Good Morning America weekend anchor Sara Haines. The two discussed what to do if your child stops breathing, how to get trained and much more.
- Also on Thursday, the Red Cross held its first ever live-stream of a panel discussion on the humanitarian implications of the Migrant/Refugee Crisis in Europe. You can watch video of the complete panel here.
- In the latest episode of Hope Starts Here, Greg and Marie talk about the aforementioned Refugee panel and share a farewell lunch together at Ogilvy.
- Late Wednesday ABC7 reported the Red Cross was able to assist two families after a building collapse in the East Tremont section of the Bronx.
- Earlier that day, the Red Cross continued to train members of the New York State Chaplain Task Force to help respond to disasters.
- Also on Wednesday, employees of UPS volunteered to assemble care packages for veterans.
- On Tuesday, Metro and NY1 reported the Red Cross was helping 10 displaced families after a 4-alarm fire in the Bronx.
- On Monday, News 12 gave an update to the response of last week’s Brentwood fire.
- CBS New York profiled Brooklyn WWII veteran Stanley "Stan the Man" Kosierowski who was recently honored with a Prisoner of War Medal. He says Red Cross aid saved his life, "Without them I wouldn’t have existed."
- Calling all golf lovers! Barclays is looking for support at the PGA tour playoffs this summer from August 23-28 in Farmingdale, LI. Signing up gets you full admission to the tournament for you and a guest. Learn more about this great opportunity. Don't forget to select American Red Cross as your affiliation when you register!
- Mar 3, 7: Red Cross blood drive: 1 to 7pm: 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- Mar 5: The #GetAlarmedNYC campaign to help save lives by installing free smoke alarms in the community will make its way to Bed-Stuy (Brooklyn) next month. Volunteer or sign up for a free smoke alarm installation at www.redcross.org/GetAlarmedNYC.
- Mar 5, 12, 16: March is Red Cross Month and we’ll be honoring our volunteers throughout the region with Recognition and Awards ceremonies in Long Island, Metro New York North and Greater New York.
- Mar 12: Red Cross Home Fire Preparedness Campaign will be in Huntington Station, Long Island on March 12th installing FREE smoke alarms to residents - make your appointment today! Please call (516) 229-1086 or visit: www.Redcross.org/LIFireSafety.