|Red Cross Responders providing assistance to residents of New Rochelle. (Photo: Caroline Sherwin)|
Last Week in Review
- On Sunday, Red Cross teams responded to a three-alarm fire in Hunt Points, Bronx, offering support to dozens of displaced families. DNA Info details incident and highlights Red Cross assistance.
- Last Saturday, Red Crossers responded to a two-alarm fire in New Rochelle that displaced several families. The Red Cross provided housing and financial assistance to four of the displaced families. News 12 Westchester interviewed some of the affected residents in this article. Thanks to all who were on scene to provide assistance.
- On Thanksgiving Day, a team of Red Cross volunteers helped two families in Staten Island displaced by a home fire. Thanks to all who put their holiday plans on hold to help.
- Speaking of Thanksgiving, the CEOs of the Greater New York Region, the Long Island Chapter and the Metro New York North Chapter wished everyone a safe and happy holiday.
- We’d like to extend our thanks to volunteer Peter King who took time out of his day to support veterans at the “Stand Down” event last week in Freeport, Long Island. The event supports disadvantaged veterans providing free food, clothing, medical screenings and other essentials.
- Thank you to PSEG Long Island for teaming up with Long Island Red Crossers to decorate for the holidays at the Northport VA Hospital.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- Dec 3: #GetAlarmedNYC is coming to Staten Island to help make the community safer one home at a time. Volunteer to help out, or sign up to get a free smoke alarm installed in your home.
- Dec 3: The Metro NY North Red Cross is hosting its annual “Battle of the Badges” blood drive in Greenwich, CT from 8 a.m. to 1:30 pm at the Greenwich Public Safety Complex/New Greenwich Police Department garage on 11 Bruce Place. The annual tradition is a friendly contest involving police officers, firefighters and EMTs to see which service can collect the most units of blood. Come out and support your favorite department!
- Dec 3, 6, 8: Red Cross blood drive at GNY Headquarters: 2 to 7pm: 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- Dec 5: The Port Washington Crisis Relief Team is sponsoring a special blood drive at the Port Washington Library (1 Library Drive) on Monday, December 5 from 3:30 pm to 7:30 pm. Make an online appointment please visit redcrossblood.org and use sponsor code: pwcrisisrelief. We hope to see you there!