|Red Crossers at the Intrepid over Memorial Day Weekend. (Photo: Brett Whysel)|
Over the last 7 days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 49 adults and 14 children following 32 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities (see below).
Last Week in Review
For Memorial Day weekend, the Greater NY Red Cross Service to the Armed Forces (SAF) team was exceptionally active with the following activities:
- Pet Therapy Volunteers from Hudson Valley Paws for a Cause and volunteers from Hunter College were at the Intrepid on both Saturday and Sunday. Visitors signed "Thank you for serving" cards to be distributed to local VA hospitals!
- The SAF team also assisted St. Alban's VA with their visit to the Intrepid.
- Early Saturday Morning at the Bronx VA, the Bronx Disaster Action Team served breakfast to over 60 Veterans and their family members before they headed out to see the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall in Washington.
- The Greater NY Red Cross SAF department kicked off Memorial Day activities at the Northport VA Medical Center with an Ice Cream Social for Veterans!
- Rounding out the weekend, the Red Cross Outreach team had a booth at the Jones Beach Air Show.
- On Thursday, Red Cross volunteers were with Greenwich Emergency Officials following a fire that displaced over nine families.
- Funmi Afonja, Senior Director at S&P Global, joined the Red Cross to share her life lessons of perseverance, empathy & kindness.
- On Wednesday, Red Cross colleagues from the Northeast Division and Greater New York participating in FEMA's Managing Spontaneous Volunteers during a Disaster.
- On Tuesday the Red Cross was on the scene of a three-alarm fire, assisting eight families who were displaced.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- May 31 & June 1: Red Cross blood drive: 2 to 7pm: 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- June 10: The American Red Cross Greater New York Full-Scale Exercise 2017 is a regional opportunity to test and train our current plans, policies, and procedures for serving our clients in a large-scale Disaster Relief Operation. We are looking for volunteer actors to play the roles as survivors in a shelter. Please complete this form if you are interested in participating in the Full-Scale Exercise as an actor.
- June 15: The American Red Cross on Long Island will celebrate 100 years of service to the Long Island community and recognize heroes from the community who embody the spirit of the Red Cross at its Centennial Celebration Gala on June 15, 2017, at the Nassau Country Club in Glen Cove, NY.
- Aug 22-27: Do you like to volunteer? Do you like golf? If so, have we got an opportunity for you! Sign up today to volunteer at THE NORTHERN TRUST at Glen Oaks Club in Old Westbury, NY 8/22-8/27. For $75 you gain daily access to the tournament for you and a guest, a logoed polo shirt & baseball cap, and much more. Plus, your efforts will support the mission of the American Red Cross. Learn more here.