Guests celebrating our Heroes Among Us Red Cross Gala in Long Island last Thursday (Photo: John Eng)
Over the last 7 days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 120 adults and 43 children following 41 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities (see below).
Last Week in Review
- On Saturday night, our Red Cross disaster relief team helped 11 families displaced by a fire in Queens, providing emergency housing and financial assistance.
- On Friday, it was Citi Global Community Day, where volunteers packed 1000 hygiene kits for local veterans.
- On Thursday, we celebrated our Heroes Among Us Red Cross Gala in Long Island. Congrats to Petro Home Services for being awarded with the Corporate Leadership Award, Dr. Azad K. Anand who received the International Humanitarian Hero Award and Katherine Falco who was awarded with the Long Island Lifesaving Hero Award.
- As hurricane season kicked off, last Monday we organized a press conference with officials from Nassau County, Suffolk County, (including National Grid and PSEG Long Island) to discuss hurricane readiness on Long Island and the importance of being prepared for the unexpected.
- It’s Pet Safety Preparedness Month! We remind pet owners the importance of having a disaster plan in case of an emergency situation. Check out some tips.
- Last week was National CPR and AED Awareness Week. Did you know that sudden cardiac arrest is one of the leading causes of death in this country and that most cardiac arrests happen at home? Would you know what to do if someone needed help? Check out our classes here.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- We are actively recruiting for the following volunteer positions: Volunteer Screener, Home Fire Campaign Team Member, Disaster Action Team Member, Recovery Caseworker, Pillowcase Presenter. Apply today at www.redcross.org/volunteer! For more information, please contact email@example.com.
- June 11, 14: Red Cross blood drives will take place from 2 to 7 p.m. at the Greater NY Red Cross building located at 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- June 11: Join us at Miansai Soho for an evening of shopping to support the Red Cross. Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- June 13: Please join the Red Cross Young Patrons for 'An Evening Under the Stars', a summer rooftop soiree to support the Red Cross, featuring an open bar, dinner, and live music. Doors open at 7pm. Get your tickets here.
- June 17-23: Travel to Solferino, Italy for a Historic Red Cross Celebration! For the first time, an unofficial, self-funded delegation of American Red Cross volunteers and staff from the United States will journey to Solferino to take part in this annual event that includes a battle reenactment, musical entertainment, special speakers, a learning academy, a youth conference, group events and guided tours. If you’re interested in traveling to Solferino as part of this group, please ‘like’ and ‘follow’ the American Red Cross Solferino2019 Facebook page or visit the American Red Cross Solferino website, where you can find detailed information about registering.