|Red Cross colleagues are working around the clock to help people affected by |
the terrible earthquakes in Japan and Ecuador.
Last Week in Review
- Following deadly earthquakes late last week and this weekend in Ecuador and Japan, our global Red Cross partners have been providing urgent support to thousands of injured and displaced residents
- Working with Councilman Eugene, Red Cross volunteers canvassed Flatbush, Brooklyn on Saturday to install free smoke alarms.
- Also on Saturday, Greater New York Red Cross volunteers including members of our Disaster Mental-Health team leant their support to families and friends who came to the “NYC Missing Persons Day”. The event “connected New Yorkers with expert resources to help identify and find their missing loved ones.”
- Last week was National Volunteer Week and to mark the occasion, we published spotlight interviews of some of our superstar volunteers on our blog: Oonagh Turitto and Nancy Soto, David Weil and Rhonda Jacobius, Ellen Boyle and Elaine Biller.
- On Wednesday, the Red Cross provided urgent relief to families affected by two separate fires in the Bronx. Tragically, one of these fires proved fatal.
- In the days following the fatal fire in the Bronx, Red Cross Home Fire Preparedness teams alongside our FDNY partners canvassed the community with safety information and scheduled dozens of free smoke alarm installations.
- Early last week, we also published a blog post, “8 New Yorkers Who Give Back,” which rounded up some of our most popular #MyRedCrossLife Instagrams to date.
- April 14 to 21: Visit select Noodles & Company during April 14th through April 21, purchase a regular size Mac & Cheese and $1 will go to help the American Red Cross on Long Island. Valid at the Noodles &\ Company in The Westbury Plaza in Garden City, Garden City Park in Garden City, Waverly Plaza in Patchogue, Airport Plaza in Farmingdale, and the Broadway Mall in Hicksville. Spread the word!
- Apr 18, 26, 28: Red Cross blood drive: 1 to 7pm: 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- Apr 20: The Red Cross has been partnering with media companies and Youtube stars to promote fire safety and on April 20th, there will be a Tubeathon to benefit the lifesaving mission of the Red Cross. #2steps2Minutes
- Apr 21: On this day, join thousands of people like you, uniting to support families who have just experienced an emergency and may have lost everything - Red Cross Giving Day. #help1family
- April 30: #GetAlarmedNYC is coming to St. Albans Queens. Volunteer to help out, or sign up to get a free smoke alarm installed in your home.