|FDNY Disaster Assistance Response Team (DART) volunteers deployed to Louisiana to help with the historic flooding.|
Last Week in Review
- Tropical Storm Hermine passed through our region without much impact over the weekend, but many Red Crossers sacrificed their Labor Day holiday to be prepared just in case.
- On Saturday, LI Red Cross CEO Neela Lockel discussed storm preparedness with News 12 LI.
- On Thursday, Nassau and Suffolk Counties in partnership with PSEG Long Island, United Way of Long Island and the Red Cross launched bereadyli.org to help the Long Island community be better prepared for disasters.
- Also on Thursday, we featured Doreen Brienza from Port Jefferson, NY on our #MyRedCrossLife Instagram series while she was still helping in Louisiana.
- Many of our volunteers are still deployed to Louisiana assisting with the major floods still impacting the area. We also did a blog post on more of their efforts on Wednesday.
- On Tuesday, the Long Island Red Cross responded to a building collapse on Long Beach and provided food, financial assistance and support to the evacuated residents.
- Early Monday morning, FDNY DART volunteers were deployed to Louisiana to support the flood relief efforts down south. NY1 was there to cover their departure from the GNY Chapter.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- Sep 6, 8 & 12: Red Cross blood drive: 2 to 7pm: 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- Sep 9: The premiere of the movie Sully debuts on September 9th. Many actual Red Cross volunteers reprised their responder roles in the movie and will get an advance screening of the movie the day before.
- Sep 10: #GetAlarmedNYC is coming to Flatbush, Brooklyn. Volunteer to help out, or sign up to get a free smoke alarm installed in your home.
- Sep 17: Save the date for Radiation Situation: A Red Cross Simulation. The Greater New York Region will host its annual Full-Scale-Exercise on Saturday, September 17th from 9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Red Cross volunteers and staff are highly encouraged to participate and will have a choice of roles and locations throughout the Greater New York and North New Jersey Regions. Sign up today!
- Sep 22: Seats are filled are filled for “Born on the Battlefield” and registration is closed. This class is an introduction to the Geneva Conventions and how the International Committee of the Red Cross has historically played a role in war zones.