|Youth Council Leaders of the Red Cross Clubs. (Photo: Brett Whysel)|
Last Week in Review
- American Red Cross Disaster Cycler Services held its 2-Day Winter Training Institute over the weekend where a variety of different training classes were taught.
- The Metro New York North chapter had a busy weekend responding to fires in New Windsor and Pleasantville.
- On Friday, Ft. Hamilton hosted their annual Children’s Holiday Party. Thanks to the efforts of Perto Commercial Services, Turner Construction and the American Red Cross in Greater New York staff and volunteers, over 250 toys were donated to the children of military families.
- We kicked off a new series of #MyRedCrossLife Instagram posts focusing on the High-School Youth Leaders of the Red Cross Clubs. The first to debut was Evan Batov, who shared his first experience with the Red Cross in Staten Island after Hurricane Sandy.
- We also shared the personal story of disaster and recovery of Manhattan resident Justin Love. Love lost all his belongings in an apartment fire.
- Early Thursday morning, Red Cross teams helped several Queens families after a building fire left them homeless.
- Volunteers from the Long Island Red Cross were at the Northport VA Medical Center to deliver comfort kits and holiday cards for our veterans.
- Earlier in the week, the Long Island Red Cross hosted a fun-filled holiday party for its staff and volunteers!
- On Wednesday, the Greater NY Red Cross hosted an international delegation from Bangladesh to exchange ideas about effective disaster preparedness and response strategies.
- Two weekends ago, Bill Giles and other Metro NY North volunteers participated in the “Holiday on the Lake" event in Gleneida where they distributed Red Cross preparedness & fire safety information.
- In late November, representatives from Wolters Kluwer came by our NYC office to present a check to benefit the American Red Cross. Many thanks for their support.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- Dec 14, 21, 22, 23: Red Cross blood drive: 2 to 7pm: 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.