|Red Crossers celebrating Red Cross Month with Empire State Building lighting. |
(Photo: Steven Thorne / American Red Cross)
Last Week in Review
- On Sunday, Red Cross staff and volunteers served as first aid spotters for runners along the course of the 2017 United Airlines NYC Half Marathon.
- The volunteers of the Hunter Red Cross Club had a little fun afterwards.
- On Saturday, Red Cross Volunteers and community partner Citibank, as part of the #GetAlarmedNYC campaign, installed over 250 free smoke alarms in 64 homes throughout Locust Manor and Rochdale, New York.
- Long Island Red Cross Volunteers also marched in the 49th annual Brentwood St. Patrick’s Day Parade.
- On Friday, County Executive Astorino declared March as Red Cross Month up in Westchester County.
- On Wednesday, the Empire State Building was lit red and white in honor of Red Cross Month. A small, but enthusiastic group of Red Crossers gathered in the freezing cold of Bryant Park to commemorate the event. Watch our Facebook live stream here and special thanks to our amazing photographer Steven Thorne for our full Flickr gallery here.
- In the early morning hours of the same day, the Red Cross was assisting hundreds of residents by opening up a shelter after a devastating fire in Yonkers. Mental Health & Health Services as well as Caseworkers working with Yonkers officials/community groups are helping these folks get on the road to recovery.
- On Tuesday, the Long Island Red Cross kicked-off its Centennial Year celebration. Learn more about the history and activities to come on our special web site.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- Mar 21, 23, 27: Red Cross blood drive: 2 to 7pm: 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- Mar 23: Please join us at the American Red Cross for a panel discussion, HEALTH CARE IN DANGER - Violence Against Medical Assistance in Armed Conflict, featuring a distinguished group of panelists. This event is part of an international public awareness campaign which had been spearheaded by the International Committee of the Red Cross in 2011. The committee works to address this violence and ensure safe access and delivery of health care in armed conflict and other emergencies. RSVP here today.
- Mar 25: On this Saturday, the Red Cross will be holding our "Share the Red" Open-House. Everyone is welcome to attend this event to celebrate Red Cross Month and to learn more about how you can become a volunteer. RSVP today.
- Mar 31-Apr 2: The American Red Cross of Greater New York is hosting the second annual Disaster Ready Summit! Learn more about the courses and sign up here.