MMC Global volunteers serve the Harlem community through fire safety education and smoke detector installations.
Last Week in Review
- On Saturday, the Red Cross partnered with volunteers from MIRA USA to help make Queens Village safer by installing 105 free smoke alarms to 15 households.
- Red Cross Metro North worked behind the scenes of a fire in Mt. Vernon providing care to five families (eight adults and nine children) displaced by the tragic fire.
- Friday was National Doughnut Day, and the Red Cross celebrated the brave women who served our troops as Donut Dollies.
- Red Cross Greater New York published a video of a 5-alarm fire from last April that impacted hundred of Queens residents.
- Mercer hosted a successful Pillowcase Project Build on Friday. Thank you to all of the volunteers!
- Early on Thursday, Red Cross Metro NY North volunteers Eli Russ & Donnalene Mitchell assisted a Mount Vernon family of seven, following a fast moving fire. Sadly, a family pet was lost in the fire.
- Mary Lynn Westmoreland, Chair of NYC Area, U.S. Department of Defense Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve, presented an award to the American Red Cross in Greater NY for support of Guard and Reserve members employed by the American Red Cross.
- On Wednesday, Red Cross NY and partner MMC Global were out in Harlem to help end home fires by installing free smoke detectors.
- Long Island Red Cross CEO Neela Lockel, alongside Nassau and Suffolk County officials, discussed hurricane preparedness. Here are the top 6 Red Cross tips to stay safe!
- Congratulations to Red Cross board member Janey Whiteside, of American Express, for being named a “woman to watch” on the Ad Age’s 2017 list!
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- June 5 & 9: Red Cross blood drives will take place from 2 to 7 pm at the American Red Cross in Greater New York building, located at 520 West 49th Street in Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- June 10: The 2017 Full-Scale Exercise American Red Cross of Greater New York's regional opportunity to test and train to our current plans, policies, and procedures for serving our clients in a large-scale Disaster Relief Operation. We are looking for volunteer actors to play the roles of survivors in a shelter. Please complete this form if you are interested in participating in the Full-Scale Exercise as an actor.
- June 15: The American Red Cross on Long Island will celebrate 100 years of service to the Long Island community and recognize heroes from the community who embody the spirit of the Red Cross at its Centennial Celebration Gala at the Nassau Country Club in Glen Cove, NY.
- Aug 22-27: Do you like to volunteer? Do you like golf? If so, have we got an opportunity for you! Sign up today to volunteer at THE NORTHERN TRUST at Glen Oaks Club in Old Westbury, NY. For $75, you gain daily access to the tournament for you and a guest, a logoed polo shirt & baseball cap, and much more. Plus, your efforts will support the mission of the American Red Cross. Learn more here.