|Long Island Red Crossers handing out supplies to homeless veterans at the Freeport Armory|
Last Week in Review
- Throughout the past Thanksgiving week hundreds of Red Cross volunteers, including local team members Garrison (from our reunification team) and Hannah (disability specialist), were on the ground providing shelter, food, and comfort to those affected by the California wildfires.
- Our Communication Officer Mike de Vupillieres, who was recently stationed in Butte County, California shared a video of wildfire evacuee Klyda Flanders. Klyda, who lost her Paradise home to the blaze, shared with Mike the harrowing experience of fleeing in her car to safety and recognized all those who helped her since.
- Yesterday, Red Cross volunteers Litt Anderson, Gary Porto, and Ruben Santiago from the Metro New York North Chapter provided emergency assistance to four families displaced by a home fire in Peekskill.
- Several of our team members from Greater New York are helping deliver hope and help after Typhoon Yutu struck the U.S. commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands. We are grateful for their service!
- Watch a special Thanksgiving message from our Regional CEO Josh Lockwood. Thank you to all the Red Crossers who spent their holiday volunteering!
- On Wednesday our emergency preparedness team was at Staten Island Technical High School providing life-saving training to their entire student body of over 1300 students. Thank you to Councilman Steven Matteo for his partnership and for inviting the Red Cross to his district.
- We stand in solidarity with Cruz Roja Mexicana Sede Nacional who lost a volunteer during an aid distribution last week. Six other Red Crossers were injured in the attack. Aid workers around the globe face increasing threats to their safety. Humanitarians are not a target.
- Tuesday in Long Island Red Cross volunteers handed out supplies to homeless veterans as part of our Services to the Armed Forces program. This included hand-woven blankets that volunteers have been working on for the past year for this occasion.
- Red Cross volunteers, in partnership with Councilman Donovan Richards, the FDNY, the FDNY Foundation and National Grid installed nearly 200 life-saving smoke alarms in the Rockaways on Monday.
Upcoming Events & Opportunities
- Nov 26, 27, & 30: Red Cross blood drives will take place from 2 to 7 p.m. at the Greater NY Red Cross building located at 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today!
- Nov 27: Celebrate Giving Tuesday and donate to the American Red Cross. Your gift makes a difference. Without you, our work simply would not be possible.
- Dec 13: Join the Red Cross Young Patrons at their Holiday Soirée: a night of conversation, drinks, live music and general holiday cheer at the beautiful and historic Players Club in Gramercy Park. To purchase tickets, click here!