|Red Cross Volunteer Ashley Barrueco featured on RedcrossNY Instagram.|
Last Week in Review
- Over the weekend at an event in Staten Island, the Greater New York Red Cross took part in the largest Pillowcase Project ever by joining the Southeast Louisiana Red Cross and many other Red Cross chapters from across the country commemorating the 10-year Hurricane Katrina anniversary by helping children and their families learn the importance of emergency preparedness.
- On Saturday, Metro New York North Red Crossers were out in Newburgh visiting homes and installing free smoke alarms to help make neighborhoods safer.
- On the 10-year anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, we took time to reflect on how the Greater New York Red Cross responded to this historic disaster and how some expressed their thanks.
- On Friday, Red Cross volunteers offered assistance to Staten Island residents forced from their home on Van Pelt Ave. after a neighboring building collapsed.
- On Thursday, we helped NYC OEM kick-off the upcoming Preparedness Month at a community fair in Lower Manhattan.
- Later that day, the Greater New York Red Cross held an instructor’s workshop teaching how to train volunteers to install smoke alarms and teach the fundamentals of fire safety.
- On Tuesday, we posted a photo and quote from Red Cross volunteer Ashley Barrueco on our recently launched Instagram account with the hashtag #MyRedCrossLife.
- On Monday, the Red Cross assisted families with temporary housing and emergency funds after a bus crashed into their residence on Woodhaven Blvd. in Rego Park (Queens).
- After spending more than two weeks in Saipan, our own Mass Care Supervisor, Alex Resnick posted these amazing photos as well as an update on how the typhoon recovery effort is going.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- Volunteer Services is looking for volunteers to help with recruitment, engagement and management of volunteers.
- Aug 31, Sept 1, 3: Red Cross blood drives; 1 to 7pm; 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- Sep 9: The Voices of September 11 is holding a Resiliency Symposium for mental health professionals and researchers/clinicians in the fields of trauma/bereavement, as well as 9/11 families, responders and survivors.
- Sep 18 and 25: The American Red Cross, in partnership with the Manhattan VA, is offering two "Resume Writing and Job Skills Training" sessions to assist military veterans looking for employment. Both sessions will run from 12:00 PM to 2:00 PM. The sessions will be held at the VA Manhattan campus, the deadline to register is August 28.