|Red Cross Volunteers and Staff outside of Long Island Red Cross chapter.|
Last Week in Review
- On Friday, Red Cross Volunteer Diane Phillips discussed the rewarding, yet often emotionally challenging experience of doing casework for Service to the Armed Forces via our Instagram series #MyRedCrossLife.
- Wednesday, Citi Bike launched its Citi Bike for Good campaign at Madison Square Park to help raise funds for the Red Cross, YMCA and No Kid Hungry. From September 16 to October 16, rides with Citi Bike could help raise up to $50,000 for each charity.
- The magazine of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement featured the Greater New York Red Cross in an article titled “Comfort after tragedy, with help from technology” (with photos by volunteer photographer Marko Kokic).
- Tuesday afternoon, the Red Cross responded to a fire in Long Island City and assisted three adults and two children with temporary housing and emergency financial assistance for basic necessities.
- Also on Tuesday, Metro New York North Red Cross and the Peekskill CERT worked together to plan a future free smoke alarm install day in October.
- Senator Phil Boyle thanked the Red Cross for our participation in the Disaster Preparedness Workshop that was hosted by the Senator and the Islip Chamber of Commerce on Long Island.
- On Monday, Red Cross volunteers provided comfort and support at the funeral of beloved Yonkers Police Lt. Roy McLaughlin.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- Win a Deluxe Emergency Preparedness Kit by taking the online emergency preparedness training. By taking the online training, you’ll be automatically entered to win preparedness supplies. Four winners will be chosen each month (notified via email).
- Sept 21-25: The “Super Commuters Challenge” is the first of Citi Bike’s weekly challenges to help raise more funds for the Red Cross and other organizations. So don’t forget your helmet and commute to work with Citi Bike to ride for hope! Share your story on social media with #CitibikeforGood and #Ride4RedCross.
- Sept 21, 22, 24: Red Cross blood drives; 1 to 7pm; 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- Sept 25: The American Red Cross, in partnership with the Manhattan VA, will be participating in the second "Resume Writing and Job Skills Training" session to assist military veterans looking for employment.
- Sept 24-25: For the historic visit of Pope Francis to NYC, Red Cross is looking for volunteers to serve in a variety of functions. These include mental health, health services and mass care. Red Cross volunteers can sign up to participate here.
- Oct 3: Please join us for an unforgettable day as our Home Fire Preparedness Campaign travels to Brooklyn on October 3 to install free smoke alarms and teach fire safety! This is a great way to help the New York City community and to meet other Red Cross volunteers! For Red Cross volunteers, sign up to be an installer, educators/documenter, driver, or logistics/staffing here. Training will be provided.