|Red Cross on Long Island teaching emergency preparedness to JFK Intermediate School in Deer Park.|
Last Week in Review
- For the last 10 days, the American Red Cross has been counting down to Giving Tuesday by sharing stories with #GiveWithMeaning.
- On Thanksgiving Day, as part of Daily News' "Voice of the People" column and in the Brooklyn Eagle, Greater New York CEO Josh Lockwood thanked volunteers, staff and supporters by saying "I want to extend my deepest gratitude to the incredible people who fulfill the mission of the Red Cross."
- In keeping with the holiday spirit, we wanted to take a moment to recognize some our volunteers who will be spending part of their holiday giving back like Vincent Stephens from Staten Island.
- On the eve of Thanksgiving Day, a two-building fire destroyed 16 apartments in Ossining (Westchester County). The Red Cross was able to provide food, clothes, transportation and emergency housing to some of those families affected.
- On Tuesday, Community Relations Manager Denise Bloise met with Brooklyn Assembly Member Helene Weinstein to provide an update on local Red Cross emergency responses in her district as well as information on emergency preparedness programs available to her constituents.
- On Monday, we posted a photo from a prior Long Island Pillowcase Project event that taught emergency preparedness to over 122 students at JFK Intermediate School in Deer Park.
- Early last week, our Restoring Family Links team participated in "A Family Resource Day" sponsored by city officials and agencies to assist immigrants with services.
- Win a Deluxe Emergency Preparedness Kit by taking the online emergency preparedness training. You’ll be automatically entered to win. This contest is open to residents of New York City, Long Island, Orange, Sullivan, Rockland, Putnam and Westchester Counties. Four winners will be chosen each month (notified via email). Dec 1: Now in its fourth year, #GivingTuesday is a global day of giving fueled by the power of social media and collaboration. Please support the lifesaving mission of the Red Cross.
- Dec 3-6: For Long Islanders, we invite you to join us for the 20th Anniversary of Champions for Charity!
- Dec 5: Our #GetAlarmedNYC campaign needs volunteers to support daily installation teams every week. The campaign also needs volunteers to support our upcoming Mega Event in Jackson Heights (Queens) on December 5th. Sign up for a Home Fire Campaign shift today (link for Red Cross Volunteers).