|Red Cross Volunteer Steven Thorne supporting FDNY open-houses to the public.|
Last Week in Review
- Sunday was Peace Officers Memorial Day and the Red Cross was on hand at a ceremony on Staten Island supporting the NYPD. Our own Disaster Program Manager for Staten Island, Daniel Delgado had the honor of speaking at the event.
- Saturday was a busy day of community outreach for the Red Cross:
- Installing free smoke alarms in Washington Heights
- Participating in NBC4’s Health and Wellness Expo at Metlife Stadium in NJ
- Supporting the annual FDNY open-house in all five boroughs where visitors were welcomed at more than 200 firehouses
- Tabling in Port Washington to promote our Home Fire Preparedness Campaign
- On Friday, we posted our latest #MyRedCrossLife Instagram profile on Long Island volunteer Elaine Biller, who was recently given the Community Preparedness Award for her service.
- On Wednesday, we had a chance to gather and celebrate our amazing volunteers who support the West Point community. Time Warner Cable News was there to cover the festive event.
- Dedicated volunteer Phil Cogan was featured in a blog post titled the “Reflections of a Seasoned Disaster Responder.”
- Our own Gary Chin was deployed to the massive Red Cross wildfire relief operation in Alberta, Canada.
- Last week we also posted a blog story about our partnership with the Tzu Chi Foundation. In late April the Red Cross was honored by the organization for our home fire preparedness efforts.
- May 16, 18, 20: Red Cross blood drive: 1 to 7pm: 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- May 19: The Citizen Preparedness Corps (CPC) is looking for more trainers and is holding presenter training sessions in Hawthorne, NY. If you are an interested in volunteering, please email email@example.com.
- May 20: City officials are holding a Fire Safety Town Hall at 5:30 pm at the Claremont Neighborhood Centers in the Bronx for residents looking to learn about fire safety.