|Red Cross volunteer, mom and teacher Lori Ann Pizzarelli with fellow Red Crosser Mike Deleon. (Photo: Vivian Moy)|
Last Week in Review
- Last week was National Teachers Week. To celebrate, we recognized some of the great teachers who volunteer their valuable time with the Red Cross throughout our region.
- Last Sunday was World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day, a celebration our global mission and volunteers. In honor of the event we posted an interview of Anna Carlstedt, president of the Swedish Red Cross who recently visited our Chapter HQ.
- Being a mom is hard, yet somehow many find the time to volunteer. In honor of Mother’s Day we celebrated these particularly heroic volunteers. Thank you for all you do!
- On Saturday, our home fire protection team was in Mastic, Long Island installing free lifesaving smoke alarms in homes throughout the community.
- Last week our DART team, as well as other local volunteers, continued to assist in Texas following the devastating floods still affecting communities in the area.
- Last Wednesday was International Firefighters Day; we saluted these heroes who risk their lives day in and day out for our safety. Thank you for your service!
- Red Cross volunteer Nancy Soto talks about the rewards of volunteering with the Red Cross in the latest #MyRedCrossLife.
- On Tuesday Red Crossers offered support following a plane crash in Syosset, Long Island.
- The dedication of our volunteers never ceases to amaze. In the month of April volunteers in the Greater New York region contributed to an incredible 21,403 hours of service. A special shout out to our volunteers who have logged the most hours in their respective Chapters: Louis Lambros, Metro New York North; Francisco Gonzalez, New York City; and Marilyn Vallejo, Long Island.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- Calling all golf lovers! Barclays is looking for support at the PGA tour playoffs this summer from August 23-28 in Farmingdale, LI. Signing up gets you full admission to the tournament for you and a guest. Learn more about this great opportunity. Don't forget to select American Red Cross as your affiliation when you register!
- May 12, 16, 18: Red Cross blood drive: 1 to 7pm: 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- May 14: The Citizen Preparedness Corps (CPC) is looking for more trainers and is holding presenter training sessions on May 14. If you are an interested Red Cross volunteer, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.