Children of the Pierce Country Day Camp swam laps to raise funds for the Red Cross. (Photo: Lori-Ann Pizzarelli)
Over the last 7 days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 39 adults and 9 children following 33 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities (see below).
Last Week in Review
- In anticipation of Syfy’s Sharknado 4 that came out on Sunday we created a PSA, blog post and Instagram videos to help individuals prepare for a Sharknado or any other disaster that may come their way.
- Longtime Red Cross volunteer Christophe Lobry- Boulanger spoke to our fire safety interns about education, mission and purpose on Saturday.
- The Pillowcase Project, a program that aims to educate children on emergency preparedness, was at Pouch Day Camp to teach preparedness tips to dozens of children on Thursday.
- Red Cross volunteers assisted four people displaced by a fire in East Meadow on Long Island. The Red Cross provided temporary housing and emergency funds for basic necessities.
- Working with Councilman Deutsch, Red Crossers provided fire safety instructor training to his staff on Wednesday.
- In our latest #MyRedCrossLife Instagram profile, Red Crosser Francisco Gonazlez reflects on a time the Red Cross helped him receive information about a family member’s passing while serving in the military.
- The roller derby #BloodforLife blood drive continues into this week. Gotham Girls and Suburbia Roller Derby hosted drives last week.
- The annual Swim Across was held on Monday at the Pierce Country Day Camp. Swim Across is a fundraiser where kids swim laps to raise money for the Red Cross.
- Last week we posted a web story about our response the previous weekend to a massive fire in Hempstead, N.Y. that left more than a dozen families homeless.
- Aug 2, 4 & 5: Red Cross blood drive: 1 to 7pm: 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- Aug 6: Orientations for volunteers are coming up! Sign up here to attend the next one.
- Aug 6: #GetAlarmedNYC is coming to Brownsville, Brooklyn. Volunteer to help out, or sign up to get a free smoke alarm installed in your home.
- Aug 23-28: Calling all golf lovers! Barclays is looking for support at the PGA tour playoffs from August 23-28 in Farmingdale, LI. Signing up gets you full admission to the tournament for you and a guest. Learn more about this great opportunity. Don't forget to select American Red Cross as your affiliation when you register!