|Employees of Brown Brothers Harriman & Co teamed up with the Red Cross help make the community safer.|
Last Week in Review
- Our hearts are very heavy for the citizens of Oakland following this weekend’s horrific fire and as well as those affected by the Eastern Tennessee wildfires. Thinking about all our Red Cross colleagues providing comfort and care following these tragedies.
- On Saturday, the Metro NY North Red Cross hosted its annual “Battle of the Badges” blood drive at the Greenwich Public Safety Complex. The unique blood drive is a friendly competition between the local police officers, fire fighters and EMTs to see which department can donate the most blood.
- During the early hours of Friday, two Metro NY Red Crossers, Brian Gerber & Maria Harmon, assisted a family with two children following a home vacate in Monroe. Emergency financial assistance was provided on site to help get the family on their road to recovery.
- Many thanks to volunteers of Brown Brothers Harriman & Co. who teamed up with our #GetAlarmedNYC team on Friday to help make more homes in East Harlem safe and ready by installing over 500 free smoke alarms.
- Lastly on Friday, Long Island Red Cross CEO Neela Lockel was featured on a panel discussing work/life balance at HIA-LIA's 6th annual Woman's Leadership Breakfast in Hauppauge (as was reported by Newsday).
- On Thursday, Greater NY staff and management kicked off the holiday season over lunch with an inspiring reminder of our Red Cross fundamental principles. It was a great opportunity for all to think, learn and grow as Red Crossers.
- Mary Ann Sallas and Arturo Guzman, have inspired us through the dedication they demonstrated in the Hurricane Matthew relief effort in South Carolina. The two volunteers described their roles and experiences in a video featured on our YouTube channel.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- Dec 5: The Port Washington Crisis Relief Team is sponsoring a special blood drive at the Port Washington Library (1 Library Drive) on Monday, December 5 from 3:30 pm to 7:30 pm. To make an online appointment please visit redcrossblood.org and use sponsor code: pwcrisisrelief. We hope to see you there!
- Dec 6, 8, 12: Red Cross blood drive: 2 to 7pm: 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- Dec 10-11: Registration is open of the Winter Training Weekend. We’re bringing together like-minded individuals who share a compassion for helping others in times of need. The event consists of a series of training classes (click for schedule) that will prepare you to help out when disasters occur. You can brush up on old skills and learn new skills that you will keep forever. Please join us to help make a difference!