|Red Cross supporting first responders at a 5-Alarm Bronx warehouse fire. (Photo: Francisco Resto)|
Last Week in Review
- Yesterday afternoon, Metro New York North Red Cross volunteers provided emotional support, emergency financial assistance, referrals and a follow up visit by our Health Services team to a family displaced by an apartment fire in White Plains.
- More than three months after Hurricane Matthew, Greater New York Red Crossers were still providing virtual casework to families affected by this massive storm.
- It’s great to see the Harlem Globetrotters getting involved in our Home Fire Safety Campaign by installing free smoke alarms in the community.
- Last Thursday marked the 7th anniversary of the catastrophic earthquake that struck Haiti in 2010. We took a moment to reflect back on our ongoing recovery efforts.
- On Wednesday, residents of a Yonkers apartment building were forced to evacuate to a nearby Reception Center as a result of a fire. Red Cross volunteers were on hand to help.
- Ogilvy CEO and Greater NY Red Cross Board Member Lou Aversano also stopped by our offices to provide sage career advice to staff.
- Wednesday night, NY1 reported that Red Cross teams helped several families displaced by large fire on Park Ave in Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn.
- Monday night, the Red Cross assisted seven families following a 3-alarm fire in Bushwick, Brooklyn, as reported by NY1.
- Earlier in the week, NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio celebrated the success of the #GetAlarmedNYC campaign in helping to reduce civilian fire deaths to its lowest number in 100 years.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- Jan 3, 5, 6, 9: Red Cross blood drive: 2 to 7pm: 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- Jan 16 and 21: #GetAlarmedNYC is coming to Sunset Park, Brooklyn to help make the community safer one home at a time. On MLK Day, we will be taking appointments and then on Saturday, we will be installing smoke alarms in the community. Volunteer to help out, or sign up to get a free smoke alarm installed in your home.
- Jan 28: Want to become a part of the Red Cross Movement and help change the world one community at a time? Register to attend our volunteer orientation and learn about the many ways you can impact your community and make new friends by volunteering with the American Red Cross.
- Feb 6: The International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement Class is a free workshop that explores the history of the Movement from its inception with the ICRC in 1863 all the way to the three components of the Movement today. Register today!