|Health Care in Danger Panel Discussion|
Last Week in Review
- Over the weekend, Disaster Cycle Services held a festive “Share the Red” Open-House event to celebrate Red Cross month among our many volunteers. View our Flickr gallery by Thuan Trong Nguyen.
- We trained the US Merchant Marine Academy out on Long Island to be the next generation of sheltering volunteers in the event of a major disaster.
- Long Island Red Crossers installed free smoke alarms in Glen Cove and assisted 29 people following a fire in the Bay Shore area.
- On Thursday, International Services organized a panel of distinguished speakers from the ICRC, MSF, WHO and UN OCHA to discuss the emerging issue of violence against medical assistance in armed conflict zones like Afghanistan, Syria, Ukraine and Yemen. Watch the complete live-stream of the panel here.
- Many Red Cross staff and volunteers opened a reception center in Westbury, NY to assist residents following a large apartment fire.
- We distributed information about Red Cross programs at the Staten Island Realtors Trade Show.
- On Wednesday we posted our latest employee engagement Hope Starts Here video focusing on the International Panel that took place on Thursday.
- On Tuesday, Board Members of the Long Island Red Cross Board kicked-off the Long Island chapter Centennial celebration by installing free smoke alarms in Deer Park and Farmingdale.
- Throughout the week, Metro NY North Red Cross CEO Mary Young visited country officials in Westchester, Greenwich, Rockland, Orange and Putnam counties to officially proclaim March is Red Cross Month.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- Mar 28, 31, Apr 3: Red Cross blood drive: 2 to 7pm: 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- Mar 31-Apr 2: The American Red Cross of Greater New York is hosting the second annual Disaster Ready Summit! Learn more about the courses and sign up here.
- Apr 3: The International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement Class explores the history of the Movement from its inception with the ICRC in 1863 all the way to the three components of the Movement today.
- Apr 8: Every eight minutes, the American Red Cross brings help and hope to people in need, thanks to heroes like you. Join us for a FREE orientation and learn how you can uncover your Inner Hero by joining our volunteer team.