| Award recipients at American Red Cross Metro New York North Volunteer Recognition Ceremony|
(Photo: Steven Colon / American Red Cross)
Last Week in Review
- This past Saturday, more than 150 Red Cross volunteers from the Metro New York North chapter gathered to celebrate March is Red Cross Month at Anthony's Pier 9 in New Windsor, NY with a special awards breakfast. View the full Flickr gallery here by photographer Steven Colon.
- On the same day, West Point Cadets joined the #GetAlarmedNYC program to help make Brooklyn residents safe by installing over 100 lifesaving smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.
- On Thursday, public access BronxNet spoke with two GNY Red Crossers, Michael and Arturo, to discuss the significance of Red Cross Month.
- Also on Thursday, members of the Greater NY Red Cross team made the trek up to Albany to garner support with State Officials like Senator Lanza, NYS Assembly Member Dick Gottfried. NYS Senator Martin Malave Dilan and NYS Senator Andrea Stewart-Cousins.
- We were proud to tell the story of West Harlem artist, Danese Smalls whom the Red Cross assisted after she lost her home due to an apartment fire that claimed the life of her cat and all her belongings.
- On Wednesday, the Red Cross responded to a large 4-alarm fire in the Bronx. DNAinfo reported on the fire here.
- On March 1, Governor Cuomo proclaimed March as Red Cross Month. Stay tuned for more activities celebrating our wonderful volunteers in the coming weeks.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- Mar 7, 8, 10: Red Cross blood drive: 2 to 7pm: 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- Mar 11: Long Island Red Cross chapter will be holding its annual Volunteer Recognition Event at the Crest Hollow Country Club in Woodbury, NY.
- Mar 23: Please join us at the American Red Cross for a panel discussion, HEALTH CARE IN DANGER - Violence Against Medical Assistance in Armed Conflict, featuring a distinguished group of panelists. This event is part of an international public awareness campaign spearheaded by the International Committee of the Red Cross in 2011 to address this violence and ensure safe access to and delivery of health care in armed conflict and other emergencies. RSVP here today.