Last Thursday night, Red Cross volunteers, employees, and board members from across New York came
together to celebrate the LI Red Cross’s Centennial Celebration.
Over the last 7 days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 106 adults and 37 children following 52 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities (see below).
Last Week in Review
- On Saturday, Greater NY Red Cross had medical spotters supporting the NYRR Queens 10K Race.
- On Friday, Red Cross volunteers from the Home Fire Campaign were presented with Volunteer Appreciation Awards from the Community Service Society of New York.
- On Thursday night, the Long Island Red Cross held its Centennial Celebration! The amazing emcees, New York Red Cross Board Members, and fantastic sponsors, along with the rest of those in attendance, came together to honor local community leaders.
- Greater NY Red Cross Regional Director John Waldman accepted an award from NY Disaster Interfaith Services on behalf of the Red Cross staff and our amazing volunteers!
- The American Red Cross launched its First Aid App! It’s an important (and free!) tool, everyone can download to their mobile device.
- On Wednesday, the Long Island Red Cross provided assistance to a family of 5 following a home fire in Uniondale, and the Greater NY Red Cross provided temporary housing and emergency relief following an apartment fire in Clason Point, Bronx.
- The Greater NY Red Cross and partner American Express were out in full force, creating cleanup kits for disaster survivors and writing thank-you cards for our military serving overseas.
- The Greater NY Red Cross showed support for their colleagues at the British Red Cross and wished them well as they responded to the devastating Grenfell Tower fire.
- Wednesday was World Blood Donor Day, and the Red Cross and Niki Taylor joined together to honor the heroic blood and platelet donors who roll up a sleeve to help save lives!
- A new exhibit opened at the New-York Historical Society called World War I Beyond the Trenches includes historical depictions of women in the Red Cross.
- Monday marked the one-year anniversary of the Pulse nightclub shooting in Orlando, FL. In remembering the numerous lost lives and families affected by the shooting, Greater NY Red Cross CEO Josh Lockwood also issued a special thank you to Red Cross volunteers who helped provide assistance to the Orlando community during the tragedy last year.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- June 20, 22 & 23: Red Cross blood drives will take place from 2:00 to 7:00 p.m. at the Greater NY Red Cross building located at 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- Aug 22-27: Do you like to volunteer? Do you like golf? If so, have we got an opportunity for you! Sign up today to volunteer at THE NORTHERN TRUST at Glen Oaks Club in Old Westbury, NY. For $75, you gain daily access to the tournament for you and a guest, a logoed polo shirt and baseball cap, and much more. Plus, your efforts will support the mission of the American Red Cross. Learn more here.