|Greater New York Red Cross rang the opening bell of the NYSE to raise awareness for fire safety.|
Over the last 7 days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 75 adults and 27 children following 45 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities (see below).
Last Week in Review
- On Saturday, the Red Cross, FNDY and FDNY Foundation brought the fire safety program to Manhattan and installed free smoke alarms in the community.
- The Long Island Red Cross held its annual training of freshman cadets at the US Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Point to operate a shelter in the event on a large-scale disaster.
- Red Cross volunteer and actress Elisabeth Rohm spoke briefly on NBC4 about volunteering in Puerto Rico while promoting her new show “The Oath”.
- Last Wednesday, Greater NY Red Cross staff, board members and supporters rang the Opening Bell of the NYSE to help promote fire safety. Check out the live-stream here.
- Metro NY North Red Cross board members were given a virtual tour of Camp Arifjan in Kuwait via Skype and learned more about the Service to the Armed Forces program.
- The Staten Island Advance published a cute Valentine’s Day-themed piece about married couples who volunteer together, which included Tom and Mary McGloin, who support our Home Fire Preparedness team.
- Special thanks to Councilman Chaim Deutsch for taking the time on Monday to learn more about our Services to the Armed Forces and International Services programs.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- If you’re a mission-focused undergraduate or graduate college student seeking a meaningful internship experience, then apply to our Red Cross Program—a rare opportunity to explore and enrich your future career prospects while serving others. Apply here: http://bit.ly/2x9lnqV
- Feb 13, 16, 19: Red Cross blood drives will take place from 2 to 7 p.m. at the Greater NY Red Cross building located at 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- March 4, 7: The Red Cross is partnering with JCCRP to bring a life-saving program to Queens: Smoke Detector Event and Information Session on March 4th and 7th at 7pm.